Friday, August 17, 2007

I've seen it all

Sometimes I think those of us who've been Christians for what seems like ages have a harder time of it. Some call it cynicism, others call it being realistic, still others are content to let things be and sit back, commenting inwardly on every spiritual high, nodding sagely to ourselves. 'It won't last.'

I've definitely had my share of 'I've seen it all' moments. The moments that happen just before being invited to a camp or a conference, or just before an altar call; feeling as though I know whats going to happen, and that no matter what DOES happen, I'd still be looking at a downward spiral somewhere later along the line.

***

"The LORD said, 'Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.' "

Not your everyday invitation to mamak. If I was a guy in the Old Testament and I'd heard that, I'd be suitably nervous and in fact, downright scared. Was I unclean in any way? In any case, there would be no time for me to offer a quick sacrifice and go to the priests for purification rites. The LORD would be outside my door in the next few minutes! Was I fit to receive Him? Or would these be my last few minutes on earth? In what manner would He arrive?

"Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD,...."

"After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake."

"After the earthquake there came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire."

By now I'd probably be almost dead with fear.

"And after the fire there came a gentle whisper."


And Elijah, for whom the invitation was meant, was expecting it and came out to have a chat with God when he heard the whisper. He'd had his share of spiritual highs and lows.

Instead of cynicism, he was sincere.(1 Kings 19:13-14)

Instead of complaining, he confessed his worries.

He may have expected a pat on the back for his work; but God gave him a plan, and a right-hand man.

***

Its a constant challenge for me not to stereotype Christianity and a relationship with God. For in doing so, we miss out on seeing God's workmanship, and the simple wonder of enjoying His presence.

No comments: