Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Humility

Mat 23:12 And whoever shall exalt himself shall be abased, and he who shall humble himself shall be exalted. (MKJV)

Alright, here goes. The above is probably one of the most recycled verses in the bible when it comes to teachings on humbling ourselves. I was thinking of it the other day- just a random moment, really- and I realised that there was more to this verse than just about "being humble".

God doesn't call us to merely get real with our ego and self-image because it's "not Godly". It is one thing to deal with your ego, but I've got a hunch that God is calling us to be more than just that. Over and over again, God has taught us to set ourselves apart from the rest of the world, not just because we're labelled "Christians", but really it's because we feed and live off His Word.

So how do we set ourselves apart from the regular "Humble Henry"?

Is exaltation by the Almighty himself the true reason we keep false pride at bay? What really hit me was that we're being called to be humble because it is through our humility and its manifestations in our actions and words that we exalt God's name for all to see. I personally see living life itself as a form of worship, and probably the most important as it impacts people in the strongest way possible and most importantly, it lifts up His glory for all to see. It's about humbling our own desires and perceived needs to put His will first in every thing we do.

I find it scary, really that this verse hit me in what i feel is a new way to me. My thoughts, feelings, emotions- not just my actions- need to be checked and double-checked from now on so that I may let Him do the judging. I pray to God that he may give me strength to be humble- in His ideal.

Help me out with this, guys.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

good post ben. your thoughts on humility actually come at a good time for me...just as I'm wondering about the technicalities of planning an event.

lingZZ' said...

this is such a timely post... was jus thinking bout humility this morning...don't have much of it. and really how to really cultivate this in my life... and your post jus brings it a step further to say, not jus normal ordinary humility, but to aspire to have a humility dat is inspired by God...